Monday, September 17, 2012

Reading this Week!

     We are reading a selection story this week that has beautiful illustrations. Later this week I thought it would  be fun to give the students an amateur watercolor lesson so they can create pictures like the one in the book. I just noticed that my supply of watercolors is just about gone. I told the students if they had watercolors of their own they wanted to bring in that they could do so. I'll be sure if they're bringing in their own personal watercolors that they can use them for themselves. If your child doesn't have personal watercolors and you would like to purchase some they are very inexpensive and can be found at WalMart, CVS, Walgreens and even Publix. If you would like to purchase a set to donate to our class I would really appreciate that too.

     My other request is for some cornbread and honey. In the story the main character eats cornbread and honey. I thought it would be fun to do the same one morning this week. The easiest thing would be to make them in cupcake containers and I can heat the honey and drizzle it on. I would like to finish it off with some lemonade as well just like Nicky did with his Grandmother. Fun things like this help with children really look forward to the stories so I hope you can support us to make our book come to life this week. Just email me if you can donate.
    
     One last thing, if you would like to enjoy the story with your child I sent home CD's of our reading book today. Just pop it in your computer and look for The Raft. I hope you will enjoy the book as much as we have.