Sunday, January 6, 2013

News for the NEW YEAR!






I hope everyone had a restful break! I know I will miss sleeping in and drinking my coffee while sitting on my couch. I will however be happy to see the smiling faces waiting for me at the door on Tuesday.

New class supplies are needed. I asked the kids to bring home a list inside their planners of the things they are running low on. They will probably need a few new composition books, crayons, gel pens, glue sticks, and pencils. Our classroom is in need of Expo Markers for the whiteboards, glue sticks, and pencils if you would like to donate to our supplies. I would really appreciate it!

I will be changing up the math homework. We will be completing our math workbook pages in class and students will complete work from the text book at home. This will begin the week of January 14th. I will allow students to check out their math books and leave them at home for now. A sign out sheet will be sent home on Tuesday in the work folders. If the books are lost or damaged you will be responsible for replacing them and the replacement cost is around $60.00. Please keep them in a safe spot. Homework will be done on notebook paper daily with the heading at the top and the assignment page and problem numbers as part of the heading. Work must be neat and the problems must be written out and solved so I can see if any mistakes are made. Please initial the paper at the top after you have looked at it.

Please work with your child on their multiplication facts. We will be going into 3 digit multiplication soon and they will only continue to fall behind if they don't have the confidence of knowing the facts quickly. This can simply be done using flash cards. We'll continue on with Rocket Math facts in class daily to help them.

http://tenmarks.com/


In addition to the math textbook homework we will begin a new FREE online program. This link is above so you can take a peek. I have signed the students up and they will be given user names and passwords. I can track how they are doing and so can you by making a parent account. Details can be found on the informational page I'm sending home. I'll set a goal with your child for the amount of online work I expect. This will be written in the planner. I won't begin this until January 14th so we can practice in class.


In writing we will be kicking it up a notch and moving on from expository writing to narrative writing. FCAT Writes is the end of February and we have a ton of work to do.  The new spelling words are posted on Spelling City as Forney Words. These are the words that will count against students if they are misspelled on in their writing. They are simple but really important for the writing score. I will continue to send the list home each week.

Reading logs will continue with 100 minutes of reading required each week.

Don't forget to check EDLINE for weekly grade updates. A reminder that NTI means the assignment was never turned in.

Volunteers needed for projects. Mrs. Whitner and I have a some things we could use help with if you would like to volunteer please email me.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the school year with your child!