Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Teaching Writing!

 
Dear Parents,
Now that the FCAT Writes is behind us I wanted to share just a few things with you. When the children come to me in the Fall I often cringe at the first essays. It can be a daunting task to get them to the level they need to be to take the test in just a few months. Here's the part you probably don't know. It is really one of my favorite subjects to teach because I can see their writing change before my very eyes. Week after week I sit down on the weekends to read what has been poured out on paper the week before. I often make my family down to listen to something funny or touching that a student has written. They often run when they see my stack of papers come out now. 
I'm blessed to see into the minds of your children though their writing. I celebrate when I see them take what Mrs. Whitner and I have taught in class and use those skills in their writing.
Today you would have been so proud of them with their pencils flying and the effort that was going into every sentence. You see for me, your children by now have become my children. I love them, I celebrate with them, my heart breaks with them. I felt like the proud mom of each and every one of them today.
My heart overflows with thanks for all the support you have given your children. At this age it can be a life long lesson that hard work can transform something that seemed so difficult in the beginning into a feeling of success. Thank you again for making my job what it is.
 
Take a moment to watch the videos I posted!